Here's how to make this easy and satisfying beauty of a cake:
1 1/2 C flour (spooned and leveled)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
10 TBL unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 C whole milk, room temperature
1/3 C dark brown sugar
3 C fresh blackberries (if using frozen, defrost completely and drain on paper towels until very dry)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium/large bowl with a mixer (or a stand mixer), beat 6 TBL of the butter with the granulated sugar on high until light and fluffy.
Then beat in the eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.
3. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the milk. Beat until just combined.
4. In a 10 inch skillet, over medium heat, melt the remaining 4 TBL butter. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and arrange the blackberries evenly in the skillet.
I just want to say right here and now that I forgot to take my own picture of the berries in the skillet with the brown sugar/butter mixture. This picture is from a magazine....and if they reprimand me for having it here, I will take it down. Until then, this is their picture.....
but my skillet looked JUST like this. Really it did.
5. Pour batter gently over the berries and smooth the top. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes, rotating halfway through baking.
6. Let the cake cool in the skillet on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen. Carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.