Sunday, February 19, 2012

Jam Sticks



Seems I have a bit of a sweet tooth lately. (LATELY?!!!!!). My friend Andrea Adams no longer calls me Cassie... she calls me "Sweet" (I call her "Savory" because she is such an amazing cook - I think I'll have to ask her for one of her recipes to share with all of you!).


As I was saying, I wanted a little goodie and so I got out my very old, very used, Betty Crocker Cookbook and found this wonderful recipe for "Jam Sticks". I had never been a big fan of jam until Lee took me to Laduree in Paris (there's also one in NYC!!) where I tasted my first macaron. It's my understanding that the macaron was created at Laduree....but I might be wrong. 


I digress. In the display case were jars of Confiture of Cassis, Framboise and d'Orange (fruit jam of Cassis, Raspberry and Orange) among other flavors. It's like eating fruit from a jar - nothing like the overly sweet jam you find here in the states. It....is.....divine.  So, of course, making JAM Sticks was my choice! (natch).


(NOTE: I made a 1/2 recipe but I will post here as Betty suggests).


Here's how you make 'em:


Ingredients~


1 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C confectioner's sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 jam (any flavor you like)
More confectioner's sugar for dusting


 Directions~


1. In a stand mixer or a hand mixer, combine the butter, sugar, egg and flavorings. Blend in flour, soda and cream of tartar just until mixed - do not over beat.  Cover and chill for 45 min to an hour.


2. Heat oven to 375.


3. Divide dough into 12 parts. Line baking sheets with parchment (or you can grease them instead if you don't have parchment).  Shape each part into an 8 x 1 1/2 inch rectangle on the pan (trust me....it's challenging to do it on another surface and then transfer - I tried it).  You can fit about 3 of these on each pan. With a wooden spoon handle, make a furrow lengthwise down the center of each rectangle. Spread 1 tsp of jam in furrow. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes.  Carefully transfer to cutting area and cut diagonally into 1 inch slices.  Cool completely in racks. Dust with confectioner's sugar.


Enjoy!






















No comments:

Post a Comment