Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shrimp and Orzo with Grape Tomatoes



I know my photography skills are lacking and I'll be honest, this picture doesn't do this recipe justice. You have to trust me - this is SUPER easy and delicious. If you've never used orzo, it is a tiny, rice-sized pasta. It cooks super fast and is used in a lot of soup recipes. 

After making this, I thought it would be even better by adding some Spanish Chorizo, so that's what I plan on doing the next time I make it. I'll notate below where I think it should be added, but you can do whatever your little heart pleases!

Ingredients~

2 TBL olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 C grape tomatoes, halved (about 1 lb)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 lb orzo
3 1/4 C low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined  (I use Trader Joes - always delicious)
1 C fresh basil leaves, torn
* AND sliced spanish chorizo  - I would add about 1/2 C

Directions~

1. Preheat oven to 400 with rack in top position.

2. In a large, oven-proof/broiler-proof skillet (Like All-Clad), heat 5 tsp oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook for just a minute (do not brown the garlic). Increase heat to high and add the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and add chorizo. Keep cooking tomato mixture for another4-5 minutes until tomatoes are softened.

3. Add orzo and broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake until liquid is mostly absorbed about 10-12 minutes.

4. Toss shrimp with 1 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Remove skillet from oven and place shrimp on top of orzo. Heat broiler. Broil until shrimp are opaque throughout - about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with basil. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment