Friday, April 8, 2011

Slow Potatoes

There is a new movement taking over the world. No...I am not going to talk about politics or religion here. I'm talking about the Slow Food Movement. Lee and I happened to be at a certain hotel in Turin, Italy last fall and in the giant exposition hall attached to the hotel, there was a weekend event. It was called the Slow Food Convention. We were ecstatic and couldn't wait to get in there! We spent the entire day taking our time looking at all the booths and getting our fill of fresh veggies, aged meat, salami and cheese, pastas and even participated in an in-depth wine tasting. It was FAB.  Across the street from our hotel was a place called Eataly. We spent hours there as well. There is a new Eataly in New York and all I can say is GO THERE.

The slow food movement is the antithesis of fast food. Here's what it's all about in one sentence:
"Slow food aims to be everything fast food is not". That quote is from the Slow Food website, if you're interested in looking around there. Here's the link: http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/slow_food/

I saw this recipe for Slow French Potatoes on a food program.....and I am sad to say I have no idea who the host was! I caught it late at night, in the middle of the program.  I have been wanting to make this since I saw it and today was a bit chilly, so it was a good time to try it.

These potatoes would be delicious with roasted chicken or beef or lamb. They are rich and creamy and delicious.  Enjoy!

Slow Roasted French Potatoes

Preheat oven to 300.

Saute 2 chopped onions in a half a stick of butter on medium low heat until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.

Thinly slice 1 lb of yukon gold, small white or red potatoes (any small waxy potato is fine). I used my mandolin for this and it made the job SO easy and fast.

In a square baker dish, layer onions, potatoes, salt and freshly ground pepper and chopped fresh thyme.
Layer 2 more times.

Add beef stock until it just barely comes up the sides of the dish to the edge of the potatoes.

Bake for 2 hours or until stock is gone.

YUMMY.


The onions....cooked slowly.


Thinly sliced and ready to get in that oven.


Putting it together (got that from Sondheim).


Into the oven with you!


Yummy, creamy, potato-y, onion-y goodness......


Ta-dah!


No comments:

Post a Comment