Saturday, September 17, 2011

Orange Sorbet

I love ice cream. I could eat it every day of my life and never get tired of it's creamy, cold goodness. I really don't care if it's the middle of winter either...I just want to eat ice cream. You could put all kinds of delectable desserts in front of me and I could pass them up easily if there was some ice cream to be had. Growing up, there was always a carton or two of ice cream in the fridge and we usually had some for dessert on most nights and that was probably because my mom hated to cook so there wasn't a lot of baking going on when I was younger.

I found this recipe (if you can even call it that!) in one of my Everyday Food Magazines and showed it to Lee (who loves sorbets just about as much as I love ice cream) and he thought it would be great so I decided to make it tonight. Now, let me say that Lee likes "tart" way more than I do. He will choose a lemony sorbet or some other tart sherbet over ice cream. I, however, always go for the creamy ones and truly love gelato more than any other type of ice cream. 

For this reason, I thought I might not like this recipe as much as Lee would. I was wrong! This turned out very "creamy", but with NO cream!  Anyway, because this goes into the food processor, it becomes a delicious, healthy, "creamy" concoction that you don't have to feel guilty about eating.



Orange Sorbet~

Ingredients:

3 C fresh orange juice
1/2 C sugar

Directions:

1.Squeeze 5-6 oranges to yield 3 C juice (I used Trader Joes Orange Juice because it is always delicious and never too tart or acidic). In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 C of the juice and 1/2 C sugar. Boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 1 minute.  Transfer mixture to a shallow 2 quart dish, and add remaining orange juice.

2.  Freeze until solid, 2- 2 1/2 hours. With a fork, break into small pieces. Put the broken, frozen juice into a food processor and process until very smooth (you may need to scrape down the frozen juice a couple of times). Transfer to an airtight container; store in freezer. Before serving, let soften in refrigerator for 10 - 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment