Saturday, September 17, 2011

Apple Cake "Tatin"

If you've read any of my posts, you know I love Ina Garten. I was watching her show today and saw her make this. It looked so easy and since the weather was a bit cooler this evening, I thought it was time to turn on the oven and make something for dessert.

On her show, she used plums, but said it would taste just fine with apples. I found the recipes for both online  - click the link below if you'd like to see them.

This is made with a kind of "caramel" sauce that is very simple, once the sugar begins to caramelize, it will begin to burn very easily if you don't take it off the heat. Since I don't have a candy thermometer, I just kept my eye on it, but you don't want to walk away from the pan once it begins to darken and caramelize.


Click here to see the recipe online!



Apple Cake "Tatin"

Ingredients:

6 TBL (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing the dish.
1 1/4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into 12 pieces. (I used 5 Gala because I like them)
1 3/4 C sugar (divided)
2 extra large eggs, room temperature
1/3 C sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt because it's less fat and is a great substitute for sour cream)
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C plus 2 TBL all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
confectioners sugar for dusting (I forgot to do this before I took the picture)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350. Generously butter a 9-inch pie dish and arrange the apples in the dish, cut side down.

Combine 1 C of the sugar and 1/3 C water in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until it turns a warm amber color, about 360 degrees on a candy thermometer. Swirl the pan but do not stir.  Pour evenly over the apples.

Meanwhile, cream the 6 TBL of butter and the remaining 3/4 C sugar in a stand mixer, or with a hadn mixer until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the sour cream, zest and vanilla and mix until combined. Sift together the flour, baking powder and the salt, and with the mixer on low, add it to the butter mixture. Mix only until just combined.

Pour the batter evenly over the apples and bake for 30 -40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then invert cake onto a flat plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment