Saturday, January 21, 2012

Old Fashioned Brown Bread

"I'm old fashioned, I love the moonlight....I love the old fashioned things"


What does this recipe have in common with that song? Not a ding-dang deal, except for the title. And I thought it would be nice to listen to Ella while I wrote this post about my 2nd venture into bread-making.  I have another post on my blog called "No Knead Bread", which is the simplest yeast bread ever. It should be entitled, "Breadmaking for Dummies".   


It's only because of Lee's love of bread that I've even started venturing into bread-making and I don't want to have a bread machine because I want to do it the old fashioned way (I didn't plan to write that.....it's just true!). There's a wonderful sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when you make a loaf of bread...the process of working the dough, smelling it as it's baking, seeing it become golden brown, then slathering a slice with butter...and eating it warm, just outta the oven...........OOOOOOOOOOH man.


I had begun to prepare the dough and realized I only have ONE loaf pan and this recipe calls for two (it makes two loaves). However, I have a mini-loaf pan so I made one regular sized loaf and for smaller ones (hence the picture). This is not a QUICK recipe....it's one you make while loafing around. (RIM SHOT! - Thank you - tip the waitress)








Here 'tis~ Old Fashioned Brown Bread


Ingredients~


2 1/2 C boiling water
1 C old fashioned oats (not instant or quick)
1/2 C butter, cubed
1/3 C molasses
5 1/2 - 6 1/2 C all-purpose flour
5 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt


Directions~


1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Stir in butter and molasses. Let stand until mixture cools to 120 - 130 degrees, stirring occasionally.


2. In another bowl, combine 3 1/2 C flour, yeast and salt. Beat in oat mixture until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.


3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 - 8 minutes. Place in a greased (I used butter) bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.


4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a slightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9X5 loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.


5. Preheat oven to 375.


6. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment