Monday, May 23, 2011

Tilapia Masala with Rice

If I could force you to make this recipe, I would. I did not expect it to be as delicious as it was so I DIDN'T TAKE ANY PICTURES. However, you can see the professional picture that I found in the magazine, below. 
The recipe calls for Basmati rice, which I love but didn't have any on hand. Instead I used Trader Joes Frozen Rice Medley (Brown, Red Rice with Black Barley - deliciously nutty and so nutritious!) and all I had to do was heat the peas in the microwave for a couple of minutes, heat the rice according to the directions, and combine them ~ Easy!  Also, I find that Tilapia can be "fishy" sometimes, so I used Trader Joe's "White Ruffy" (which is really Orange Roughy that comes frozen, in an orange bag. It is the ONLY frozen fish I will eat because it is always perfectly delicious).
Otherwise, I made it exactly as the recipe says and it was soooooooooooooooooo good.

Tilapia Masala with Rice

1 C basmati rice, rinsed
kosher salt
1/2 C frozen peas
3/4 C plain yogurt
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
1 TBL fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 6 oz tilapia fillets
2 TBL unsalted butter, melted
1 TBL chopped fresh cilantro or mint (I did 1/2 and 1/2 of both!)

1. Bring rice 1 1/3 C water and 1/4 tsp salt to a simmer in a soucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the peas; cover and set aside.

2. Puree 1/2 C yogurt, the garlic, ginger, lime juice, cumin, cayenne, 3/4 tsp salt in a food processor. Transfer all but 3 TBL of the mixture to a large bowl. Pierce the fish a few times with a fork and season with salt; add to the bowl and toss. Marinate for 15 minutes.

3. Preheat the broiler. Place the fish on a broiler pan; top with the marinade and butter. Broil until opaque, 6-8 minutes. Mix the remaining 1/4 C yogurt, cilantro, and salt to taste with the yogurt mixture. Serve the fish and rice with the yogurt sauce and lime wedges.

Click here to see the recipe online.


No comments:

Post a Comment