Thursday, March 17, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Every year on St. Patrick's Day, I love to make soda bread. It is something I prepare myself for, mentally, because I usually eat a rather low carb diet and I usually tell myself I'm not allowed to eat white starchy carbs.  If I have carbs, I do my best to have whole grains.

 BUT.....when it comes to Irish Soda Bread, it has to be the white flour - I just think it's so delicious.....especially slathered with irish butter.  
COME ON!!! I only eat this ONCE A YEAR!!
It has raisins too, which adds a bit of sweetness and is scrumptious with corned beef and cabbage.

Here is the recipe for my once a year, white flour, carb-fest, Irish Soda Bread:

Sift together:
2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Add: 1/4 C raisins

Then add:
1 1/2 - 2 C buttermilk (this depends on the moisture in the air - you don't want this to be sloppy wet - the ingredients should be wet enough to come together, but not sticky)

Turn out onto floured board and knead 5-6 times until loaf comes together. Form into a round shape and sprinkle with flour. Bake on a floured cookie sheet at 325 for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

(TIP: Instead of flouring a board and then transferring to a baking sheet, I use a Silpat mat on a baking sheet. I turn the dough out directly onto a floured silpat, knead a few times and it goes directly into the oven. EASY!)




Slathered in butter....


No comments:

Post a Comment