Thursday, March 31, 2011

Old Fashioned Cucumber and Red Onion Salad

I live in California and last week I was still using the heat in the house. Today it was around 80 degrees. It seems as if California has decided to skip Spring altogether and just head into Summer....which is fine with me!
When the weather heats up, I crave fresh veggies and food from the grill.

I had a few cucumbers and was trying to figure out what to do with them and found an old recipe I wanted to try for Cucumber Salad. I made a few "adjustments" (plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, powdered garlic instead of fresh). Don't GASP at me! I love fresh garlic, but I think it is better to use dried in this recipe because it gives a more even flavor without biting into a piece of raw garlic (which sticks with you for a while).

This recipe turned out so well, that I decided to just have this for dinner. It made for a very light and refreshing dinner.  (ok....I had a piece of bread with it too....and a glass of wine).  cheers!




Old Fashioned Cucumber and Red Onion Salad

3-4 Hot House Cucumbers sliced paper thin (if you use regular cucumbers, be sure to skin them first and scoop out the seeds with a spoon....I like the hothouse because you can just slice them up, skin and all!)
1/4 - 1/2 red onion (depending on how much onion you want) sliced paper thin

Dressing:
1 C plain greek yogurt
2 TBL olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 TBL fresh chopped dill (you can also use dried)

Thinly slice cucumbers and onion into a medium bowl. (I use a very inexpensive OXO mandolin).

In a separate bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients, and pour over cucumber and onion slices. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment