Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Coleslaw with Old Bay Seasoning

My husband loves cabbage. He will tear a leaf off a new head of cabbage and eat it like it's candy. Seriously.  I enjoy my cabbage when it's made into a slaw and this recipe is fantastic. I had tried many other recipes before this one, and after Lee tasted this, he said "this is my favorite - please make this every time you make cole slaw".  I thought, EASY! I can do that!  And it is exactly what I've done ever since.

This recipe is so easy (like all of the rest of the recipes I post here!).  The only thing it requires is 2 hours refrigeration once you have put the ingredients together.

Click here for the online recipe!





Ingredients

  • 1 head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.)

  • 2 large carrots, peeled

  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into very narrow strips (capsicum)

  • 4 green onions, finely chopped including green tops

  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning

  • 1 cup mayonnaise



  • Directions

    1.  Cut the cabbage into wedges. Cut out and discard the hard core from each wedge. Using a food processor fitted with the slicing disk, cut the cabbage into fine shreds. (The cabbage can also be thinly sliced by hand). Transfer to a large bowl.

    2.  Fit the processor with a shredding disk and shred the carrots. (The carrots can also be shredded by hand using the largest holes of a box grater-shredder). Add the carrots to the bowl with the cabbage.

    3.  Sprinkle the cabbage and carrots with the vinegar and mix well. Stir in the bell pepper strips and green onion.
    4.  Add the mayonnaise and Old Bay Seasoning and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Serve cold.

    My Notes: I like to use an OXO Mandoline see my post called "Old Fashioned Cucumber and Red Onion Salad" to see the picture of it - it has become and invaluable tool in my kitchen! Also, I only use 3/4 C mayo (Best Foods ONLY!) instead of 1 C. I just think it tastes better that way. Lastly, I mix the mayo and the old bay together, then add it to the slaw. Doing it this way eliminates clumps of spice in the slaw.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment