Friday, August 19, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!


I have heard that Marie Antoinette never really said that well-known phrase. It has only been attributed to her through the years of history.  I suppose that as she was being led to her be-heading, that she might have been in a bad mood. She could've said, "Let them eat LIVER!"  or.... "Let them eat COCONUT"!! (a true punishment for me). But I think that if she said, "Let them eat Cake!"....well, that's kind of a nice wish.   Cake is happy food.  Let's eat cake!!

Ok....I am being so silly here I can't stand myself so I will break from the direction I was going in and say that I love cake. Lee loves Angel Food Cake and today I decided to make one for him. I got out my Martha Stewart recipe book and found this one and it is delicious (I don't post any recipes on this blog that I think are yucky.....hence the lack of liver and/or coconut recipes).

I neglected to take pictures of the beginnings of the process, but it's just sifting and whipping the egg whites - I'm sure you already know how to do that.

The other thing I neglected to do was to run my knife a bit more through the batter - it would've made the raspberries mix a bit better. As you can see from the picture, it looks like the cake has a "filling", but it is supposed to have more of a "ribbon". Still, the taste was delicious.

Lastly - never, EVER grease your angel food pan! The batter needs to "pull itself" up the sides of the pan and can't do that properly if it is greased. I learned this one the hard way.

Because the directions are a bit lengthy, I am not going to post it all here - just click on the link below to see the Ingredients and Directions!

Click here to see Martha's recipe online!



Gently folding in the sifted flour...


Parchment on bottom - UNGREASED pan!


Some raspberry puree on the whites...


Just out of the oven...

Peeling off the parchment...


Ready to eat....




Let them eat cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment