Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Individual Blackberry Cobblers

I was going to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner tonight and I asked my husband, "Do you want anything for dessert?". I, of course, was hoping he would say, "oh, just pick up some gelato or something easy because it's too hot to cook". But no. He didn't say that. He said, "Blackberry Cobbler". I knew he was kidding me.....but I gave him that, Oh REEEAAAALLY?????? sort of look, as if to say, "don't dare me because I will make it".

It's August right now and I found some gorgeous blackberries at the store.....and I knew I had to make cobbler.....even though it's blazing hot and I would regret turning on the oven. I got some vanilla bean gelato and headed home.

While Lee was outside doing his barbeque magic on a tri-tip, I was inside making Old Bay Cole Slaw (recipe to be posted here soon) and Ina Gartens' Dilled Fingerlings (recipe posted here!). After dinner I turned on the oven and thought, "WHAT was I THINKING??!!  It is SO hot right now". YES....yes, we have air conditioning.....but we don't have a big house and the oven vents into our kitchen.....that's a whole 'nother story I am not going to tell. Suffice to say, when I turn on the oven, it gets very warm in the kitchen. Good for Winter. Bad for Summer.    I digress.

I had found this Betty Crocker recipe online and was looking forward to making it because it was crazy simple. However, I decided to cut the recipe in half and use ramekins instead of one pan as the recipe calls for. It turned out perfectly!

Lee and I kept saying "oh man....this is so good" as we devoured our little cobblers. Needless to say it was worth it to turn up the heat in the kitchen!

Here is the crazy simple and crazy delicious Betty Crocker recipe for Blackberry Cobbler:

Click here for the website recipe!




Plain
 
With Gelato.....!

2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blackberries (do not use blueberries)
1 cup sugar
1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
 
Cream, whipped cream or ice cream, if desired
1. In medium bowl, stir together blackberries and sugar. Let stand about 20 minutes or until fruit syrup forms. Heat oven to 375°F.

2. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Stir in melted butter until blended. Spread in ungreased 8-inch square pan. Spoon blackberry mixture over batter.

3. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until dough rises and is golden. Serve warm with cream.

My notes: I split this recipe in half and used four ramekins instead of one large dish. I also used fresh blackberries (one container - about 1 1/4 C - perfect for splitting the recipe in half!) and baked for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment