Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chris Flowers' Rum Cake

I met Chris when I started singing backround vocals for Andy Williams. She was in the orchestra, playing violin. In those days (not THAT long ago, really) Andy traveled with an entire orchestra which is something that no one does anymore. In fact, he probably was one of the last ones. When he decided to stop touring and built his theater in Branson, he sized down his band and began using synthesizers which mimicked the string section, and horns. 
When Andy Williams opened his theater, I did the first two Christmas seasons. So, I would go to Branson from the end of November to the end of December and because I needed a place to stay, she very generously opened her home to me. I was like the college kid who comes home and takes the old bedroom for several weeks during Christmas vacation, except I did my own laundry.  
Chris is a gorgeous and talented woman and I am pleased to call her my friend. She's also a wonderful cook and this is her much sought after recipe for Rum Cake!  Enjoy!




Chris and I (with Tish Diaz on keys) during Andy Williams Christmas Show in Branson, MO.

The lovely Chris Flowers




Heat oven to 325

Mix Together in mixer:
1 yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines)
1 large box of vanilla instant pudding (not the cook and serve)
4 eggs
½ cup water
½ cup rum
½ cup vegetable oil

Spray bundt pan with Pam Cooking Spray. Pour completely mixed batter into pan. Bake for one hour or until knife comes out clean.

In a saucepot mix:
1 stick of butter
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of rum

Bring to a boil and boil for two minutes while stirring. Let sauce cool slightly.

While cake is in pan, make holes in cake and pour the sauce over top of cake. I make holes bigger until all the sauce has gone into the cake. Let cake sit in pan for a bit until slightly cooled…about 6-10 minutes. 



You want to make sure the cake is done, and the sauce is absorbed or the cake can get mushy.

I sometimes put sifted confectionary sugar on top of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment