Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

Every year at Christmas, I go into "cookie baking mode". I have several recipes that I like to make during that time of year only, and this is one of them. Last year, I found a "mitten" cookie cutter and made this as gifts and one friend said, "oh.........man......! This isn't just a great cookie.......this is THE BEST COOKIE I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY LIFE".   What a compliment!! If only this recipe were my own creation, I would feel great about taking the kudos.  I have no idea where I got this recipe, but since I've had it for so long, I am going to assume it came from either Betty Crocker, or one of my mom's church fundraiser cookbooks. It doesn't matter though, because my friend was right. This probably is my all time favorite cookie because it is so delicious.


You can see by this picture that my decorating skills are lacking. That's ok with me....nobody complained....they were too busy enjoying the cookies!


My Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie mittens (those are chocolate truffles in the middle....not made by me, but by Trader Joes)



Ingredients~

1 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
3 oz regular cream cheese (not low or fat free!), softened
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 C all purpose flour


Directions~

1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, extracts, and egg yolk. Blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, and level off to measure. Stir in flour until blended. Cover with plastic wrap and shape into a disk. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight.

2. Heat oven to 350. On a lightly floured board, roll out dough, 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated). Cut into desired shapes with floured cutters. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Leave cookies plain or sprinkle with sugar crystals at this point.

3. Bake for 7- 10 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Immediately remove from sheets and cool on wire racks. Cool completely. Frost and decorate as desired.

enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment