Foolproof Apple Cake
2 C peeled, cored and chopped apples (I use 2 large Gala apples)
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg white
cooking spray for the pan
Preheat the oven to 350
1. Combine the apples and sugar in a bowl; let stand 10 full minutes.
|Be sure to give them 10 minutes so that some juices form in the bowl!|
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt on a large bowl; stir well. Make a well in center of mixture.
3. Combine the oil, vanilla and egg white - beat until slightly frothy. Add to the flour mixture and mix well. This will be VERY dry. (There will be some moisture from the apple mixture)
|The oil, vanilla and egg white, ready to mix into the flour...|
|VERY dry....but that's OK!|
4. Add the apples and any juice that has collected at the bottom of the bowl. (it's ok to add a tsp or so of water to the mixture if it doesn't come together).
5. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until slightly browned at edges.
Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.