Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Favorite Cranberries

I wish I could tell you where I got this recipe, but as usual, I don't remember. I know I got the recipe from somewhere before the Internet was invented. Honestly. That's how long I've been making these. Every year around Thanksgiving, I begin craving them - they are SO delicious and fresh.

My memories of the family Thanksgiving meal are Grandma's Southern Cornbread Stuffing, green beans with bacon (boiled for hours within an inch of their green lives), oven ready, par-baked rolls, some sort of mashed potatoes (from a box...I think) and Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberries which would be sliced into perfectly formed circles, right out of the can.

Until I tasted this recipe, I never knew that Cranberries had such amazing and intense flavor! The best part is that you can (and should) make these a couple days in advance of eating them, which makes preparing for Thanksgiving a bit less stressful).

These are the most delicious Cranberries you'll ever eat:





My Favorite Cranberries

1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 C water
3 whole cloves
3 whole allspice
2 , 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1 (12 oz) bag of fresh cranberries
zest of one orange

1. Bring sugar, water, cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a 4 quart saucepan. 
Sugar and Spice.....(you know the rest)




Cook, stirring, until syrup is clear, about 3 minutes. Add cranberries and cook just until they begin to pop, about 5 minutes.


2. Remove from heat, add orange zest and cool. 






Keep in refrigerator at least 3 days before serving.

1 comment:

  1. yum! and..don't faint...I've actually made cranberry..umm..stuff before.. it IS sooo much better than that canned crap! lol

    ReplyDelete